This year was completely birth out of a complete leap of faith and with the belief in something I believed in-myself. In 2016, I was just two years out of college and thought it would be a good idea to start my own business. And though I played around with the idea, and half-heartedly committed to the idea, I knew that I need to make a decision. In 2017, I finally decided to commit and focus on growing my business and since then I have expanded and grown. In the 365 days
- Telefone Tour: In February, I was commissioned to make make Chicago Rapper, Noname, a custom James Brown-inspired cape for her sold out tour for her mixtape, Telephone. Wearing a floor-length red sequin and satin lined cape, she dazzled the crowd. It was loved so much that XXL even mentioned on their social media page.
- Chicago Fashion Incubator- For I could remember being in college saying, "I have to get into the Chicago Fashion Incubator". I even interned for an alumni designer who was once in the program. Towards the end of 2016, I applied to the Designer-in-Residence program, which is a program designed to mentor small businesses within the fashion industry. By March 2017, I was smiling from cheek to cheek because I became one of six new designers in the program.
- Crowdfunding-In the start of my business, I decided to raise funds for my first collection. I raised money to start my first collection by the help of past clients and supporters of my brand. I am so happy and thankful for supporters who connect with my brand's message, creating modest fashion for modest women.
- Editorial With Sal So Groovy- In August, I got a chance to have my clothing styled by Stylist Extraordinaire Sal So Groovy. She helped me tell the story of my first spring collection visually and I was able to do with with two friends of mines-Model Ameera Muhammad and Activist Hoda Katebi.
- Spring/Summer 2018 Collection- Following this shoot, I launched my first collection for purchase. It is titled, "Flourish", a collection about my story as a woman coming into her own.
- Chicago Woman Mag-I made it in to my first publication as a designer. I was in the September/October 2017 issue of Chicago Woman Magazine titled "The New Guard" which spotlighted designers in Chicago.
- Fall/Winter 2018 Collection- As the year closes, I am fortunate enough to be working on my next collection as well as hosting my first trunk show next month at Macy's .
Good things are on the horizon, and with your support you have taken me to lengths I would have never imagined.